When it comes to GDPR, do any of us know what we’re doing? We wondered that too – so we decided to do some research. We asked 500 business leaders across the UK to give us their thoughts on these new regulations, with some staggering results.
Despite the threat of fines of up to 20 million Euros for non-compliance, almost a third of UK business leaders admit they have never even heard of the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). With new regulations to be strictly enforced on May 25, 2018, businesses cannot afford to ignore them.
Here’s what they told us:
- 28.6% of UK SME leaders admit to zero awareness with regards to GDPR regulations – nearly 30% of the UK hasn’t even heard of it!
- 26.9% of businesses are not confident of the action they need to take to ensure they are GDPR compliant.
- 15.8% of business leaders are finding GDPR extremely complex and admit to losing sleep over the new regulations.
- 12.8% of businesses believe that that new GDPR laws do not apply to them, with only 48% actually working through the business changes now.
- 63.2% of those surveyed have used social media in the past to look at potential recruits online – a big risk with the new GDPR regulations.
- 40.6% of business leaders believe that the €20 million / 4% turnover fines for non-compliance to the new GDPR regulations are far too high, with 22.2% completely unaware of the fines.
- 22.8% of companies do not believe GDPR will be strictly enforced after May 2018.
With less than eight months to go until the wide-ranging new EU regulations come into force, organisations need to act now to get their data aligned with the new regulations, as well as ensuring their staff are fully aware, and adhering to, the changes required.
Litmos Heroes have developed a video-based training course for organisations to ensure their staff are compliant to GDPR and avoid costly fines down the road.
Find out more about the course and how your business can get out of the GDPR dark. Learn more.
Research conducted by 3GEM Research and Insights on behalf of Litmos Heroes, October 2017