Marketing techniques can work in L&D – it’s as simple as starting with these six essential skills. Get started today!
One of the wisest things we’ve ever read about marketing said: “Marketing is a contest for people’s attention”, which is irrefutably accurate. But isn’t L&D fighting the same battle?
Modern learners require modern approaches. An article we recently read said: In 2018, marketers should focus on anticipating user questions, needs and emotions in order to engage with them.
Arguably, L&D should be doing the same then, right? If you really want to get under the skin of your learners’ mindset, the same way marketers do with their target audiences, then there are several key things you must do in order to really leverage marketing techniques to make your training interventions even more powerful, useful and appropriate for your employees.
1. UNIFY SYSTEMS FOR ONE LEARNER VIEW
- Saves you time accessing multiple systems = YAY to more time to do non-admin things.
- Provides critical data for you to leverage.
- Streamlines the entire L&D function, providing you with a clear view of learner touchpoints across the business.
2. HARNESS YOUR DATA MORE EFFECTIVELY
- Create learner personas to define pain points and motivators.
- Use data to create effective audience segmentation.
- Use these segments to provide more relevant, useful and timely interventions.
3. CREATE RELEVANT CONTENT FOR AUDIENCES
- Don’t always reinvent the wheel – repurpose what you already have. Use rich media interventions proven to engage, such as videos and infographics.
- One size DOES NOT fit all – create different content for different audience segments.
4. AUTOMATE – BUT KEEP IT HUMAN
- Leverage data you have gathered, analysed and segmented to create timely, relevant interventions for learners.
- Be useful and always fulfil WIIFM (What’s In It For Me).
- Keep it human.
- Always include a clear call-to-action.
5. ITERATE, REVIEW, RE-STRUCTURE
- Please, please, please benchmark current performance.
- A/B test whenever and wherever you can.
- Get feedback from your audience, NEVER assume.
- Install Google Analytics ASAP.
6. IMPROVE THE LEARNER EXPERIENCE (KEEP THEM COMING BACK FOR MORE)
- Leverage all this insight to improve learner journeys.
- Always be in the mindset of your learners – ask yourself: “What do my learners want?”
- Work hard to remove pain-points, hurdles and obstructions that make learning difficult.
- Observe, shape, perform.
Learn more about how to maximise marketing skills in your L&D department by watching this free, on-demand marketing webinar. Check it out!